Breast Cancer forms in tissues of the breast, usually the ducts (tubes that carry milk to the nipple) and lobules (glands that make milk).
It occurs in both men and women, although male breast cancer is rare.
Survival Rate: 80% or above.
1. Nipple may turn inward or become flaky, red, or swollen.
2. Fluid may leak from the nipple.
3. Changes in the way the breast or nipple feels.
4. A lump or thickening in or near the breast, or in the underarm area.
5. The breast may change in size; the skin or the area around the nipple.
NOTE: In most cases, the breast cancer has no symptoms in early stages.So, at early stages Breast Cancer can be detected from the difference in the skin to other regions of skin of the breast.
If you have any of these symptoms then you must consult your nearby health professional or doctor ASAP. There are some of these tests carried out
1. Physical Examination or Clinical examination by a doctor
2. An X-ray of Breast(Mammogram). This gives around 80% correct result.
3. MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
4. Ultrasound Exam
5. Blood Test
6. Biopsy (removal of part of the affected region which contains healthy tissues also).
To know more tests click Here : Cancer Tests
Depending on the age group, density and location of lump, different types of detection techniques are used.
If the results are negative in different tests, then no need to worry about it. If the results are positive, then you need a lot of courage in the coming days. You are going to need a lot of emotional support as well as financial and mental support from the people around you. Truly speaking, the next few months will be the most challenging period of your life. For you, there is more than 80% survival rate. These life saving drugs will save you only when you have a belief of your own survival. So, be pessimistic. This period of life has given you a chance to think something different in your life. Also, to start a new life. Meet with your family and friends. take their help as much as possible. This will help you to be emotionally strong.
Meet with your doctor, ask them about your chances of survival and the stages of your cancer. Your doctor need to perform some more tests to determine the stage of your cancer. If the cancer has not spread to other parts of the body then there is very good chances of your survival. These tests will be performed by your doctor in next few days.
1. Estrogen and Progesterone tests: This test determine the level of these hormone in Cancer cells. If the level of the hormone is high then cancer cells will grow rapidly. This test tells whether blocking of hormone will stop cancer growth or not.
2. Human epidermal growth factor type 2 receptor (HER2/neu) test.
You can have a combination of treatment from these treatments:-
d. Hormone Therapy
e. Biological Treatments
Some other treatments which are in trial stages are
Depending on these factors,doctors decide about your treatment based on the different factors. If you have any problem with the treatment types, then let your doctor know about your problem.
- The type of breast cancer you have
- The size of your breast tumour
- The stage of your breast cancer
- The grade of your cancer cells
- Whether you have had your menopause
- Whether your cancer cells have particular receptors
- Your general health
It slows or stops the growth of hormone-sensitive tumors by blocking the body’s ability to produce hormones or by interfering with hormone action. Tumors that are hormone-insensitive do not respond to hormone therapy. For example, after the menopause oestrogen is made in body fat. It can stimulate the growth of some breast cancer cells. So hormone treatments for breast cancer lower the levels of oestrogen and progesterone in the body, or block their effects. This therapy can be done either before or after the surgery based on your requirement.
List of some books which you want to read during these days:
Living Well Beyond Breast Cancer: A Survivor’s Guide for When Treatment Ends and the Rest of Your Life Begins (2nd edition)
Marisa and Ellen Weiss
Three Rivers Press 2010
This American book discusses all the physical and emotional issues that may arise when you finish cancer treatment. It can help to put things into perspective.
Gentle Giants – Powerful story of one woman’s unconventional struggle against breast cancer
Ebury Press 1987
The biography of the founder of Penny Brohn Cancer Care (formerly the Bristol Cancer Help Centre).
After getting ride of your cancer,you can also share your stories with the whole world in your own words by writing your biography through this website.